You have 10 weeks remaining for the course
Getting Started In Drupal 0/2
Install Drupal On Windows Via Bitnami
Bitnami is a software that allows you to install website applications such as Joomla, WordPress and of course Drupal. Bitnami Drupal Stack includes Drupal, Apache, MySQL, and PHP. This is a very easy way to get a Drupal 7, or Drupal 8 site running on your Windows, Mac, or Linux computer. After the 30-minute installation (might be 15, or 20 maybe) you will immediately have a Drupal site ready to play with.
In this tutorial, we will show you how to install Bitnami on Windows to create a Drupal site.
Download & Install
Download: Go to the page Bitnami Home > Applications > CMS > Drupal > Installers ~ bitnami.com/stack/drupal.
Look under the heading for your computer system (Windows, MAC, or Linux), and click the button “Download” for either Drupal 7, or Drupal 8.
Install. Depending on your computer, this will require varying degrees of patience.
[Insert screen by screen install help, including, but not limited to, a warning for Windows users that a Drupal 8 installation location path must never exceed 46-characters, otherwise two Drupal files ‘…\twig\…*.php’ will have path lengths that will exceed Windows 258-character path limit (those two ‘twig\…’ files themselves each have a 212-character path length not including the Drupal root directory name)]
After you click the final installer button “Finish”, your browser will automatically open to the “Bitnami: Awesome! Drupal is now installed” page, with browser address:
Click “Access Drupal” to go to your new site’s ‘front’ page (The homepage), at browser address:
Drupal 8 Tip: When you now see your Drupal 8 site’s homepage (aka ‘front’ page), click the top-right text link ‘login’.
Now we have the site all setup we can login to the Drupal site with the details we stated during installation.
Login: The username and password, for ‘login’ to your site, are those you used during the installation of Bitnami. (You had to enter a password [twice] during installation. And, if you changed the default username by entering one of your own during the Bitnami installation, then your Drupal site login will use the username you entered. But, if you did not enter your own username, it will be the default that was displayed: “user” [without the double-quotation marks].)
Bitnami shortcuts on Windows
Shortcut links to all of the different Bitnami features can be accessed at your Windows ‘Start’ button. Those shortcuts are, using Windows 8 for example, at:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Bitnami Drupal Stack
As a notable example, the little window titled ‘Bitnami Drupal Stack’, which appeared after the Bitnami installation finished, can be reopened with the shortcut “Bitnami Drupal Stack Manager Tool”.
Other things of note
- The little window titled ‘Bitnami Drupal Stack’, which appeared after the Bitnami installation finished, is also known as the ‘Bitnami Manager’ window and can be reopened by clicking “manager-windows.exe” at:
[Bitnami installation directory]\manager-windows.exe
- The ‘phpMyAdmin’ username is “root” (without the double-quotation marks), and the ‘phpMyAdmin’ password is the password you entered during the Bitnami installation and is the same password as your Drupal site login.
- The ‘Readme.txt’ file is a good one, and is at:
[Bitnami installation directory]\README.txt.
- The Drupal codebase is at:
[Bitnami installation directory]\apps\drupal\htdocs\*
Before you uninstall Bitnami, if you want to save any modifications that you have made to your site:
- Save the database using the ‘phpMyAdmin’ tab “Export”, and keep in mind that to use your database in the future, you might have to first use it with the precise Drupal version number that you are currently using, before updating your site to a newer Drupal version. So, I recommend that you incorporate the Drupal version number into the filename of your database MySQL ‘dump’ file, if, and when, you save it.
- Save a copy of your codebase (from the above stated location) if you have added any modules, themes, or personal files, images, etc.
To uninstall Bitnami, including your Drupal site, Apache, MySQL, and PHP:
- Double-click “uninstall.exe” at:
[Bitnami installation directory]\uninstall.exe
- Or, use the ‘Start’ button programs menu item “Uninstall Bitnami Drupal Stack”.
- Or, go to the Windows “Control Panel” > “Programs and Features”, find ‘Bitnami Drupal Stack’ in the list, click it once to highlight it, and then above the ‘Name’ column heading, click “Uninstall/Change”.